Sunday, December 12, 2010

[Blog Spot] 'I Should Be Writing' run by Mur Lafferty

It's been a while, since I've done a Blog Spot post. They are pretty much the direction of this blog, promoting the websites that aid in my writing and why they can be beneficial for yours. I am aiming for a weekly post every Sunday, starting now.

---

This Sunday I've picked "I Should Be Writing" a podcast for writers run by Mur Lafferty. I was introduced to Mur's own brand of awesomeness on Twitter through my friend @ghostfinder, who has been following this podcast since it's first episode. That is in on itself a feat, because the show is currently at episode #173. That is what I call dedication.

"I Should Be Writing" opens with a fun song by John Anealio, which will make you smile as it hits close to home [I'm talking about procrastination, people]. Then there is a short segment called the State of Mur, where Mur shares what she has accomplished and what she struggles with or has overcome. After this, the episode has a two part structure.

In the first part Mur tackles an aspect of writing, be it characterization, worldbuilding or software. The second part is where things get interesting as Mur interviews an author, who writes and has published in the speculative genre. What I love about these interviews is that Mur tries to encompass everything about writing. What the author's routine is, the publishing industry and the author's experience, general geek talk and advice.

Yes, episodes may vary from 30 minutes to an hour. I generally don't listen to podcasts. I'm a bit ADD to pay close attention so the length of some of the episodes are a test for my will, but they are so worth it. Mur has a pleasant voice and it's a pleasure to listen to her and she gets it. She knows and if you are serious about this whole writing deal, then she's worth your time.

A few more details. While discussing a wide range of topics "I Should Be Writing" focuses more on the craft and the advice is geared towards speculative fiction writes.

0 comments: