Wednesday, May 12, 2010

[Blog Spot] 'The BubbleCow Blog'

~

Writing is a vocation. Publishing is a business. While writing is strictly individual and a force, which can’t be subjugated to a general set of rules, publishing, similar to other businesses, has its ways, hidden tricks and guidelines to separate the successful from the unfortunate ones.

By rule of thumb, writers are not perceived as the savvy entrepreneurs with predatory instincts and if you’re a novice writer with ambitions to break into the business and stay published, you have vague assumptions about the complexity, with which the industry functions. The need for blogs with more business oriented content has arisen and the Internet has provided.

As with all good finds in my Google Reader, The BubbleCow Blog was accidental and I can’t even recall, where I must have clicked to arrive at his website, but I never regret the day. I am not a techie. Even though I belong to the generation, which hails technology, I’m lost as far as utilizing technology to my side and how modern media can help me create a better buzz.

Gary Smailes co-founded BubbleCow, a literary consultancy, providing professional help for writers. Although he is in the children’s book segment of the industry, the wide-ranged advice and information he provides free through The BubbleCow Blog is universal. His posts are on the shorter side, but are to the point and there is no word wasted. What I personally find most useful include the video tutorials about various software programs and the blog optimization tips on increasing subscribers and visitors.

Perhaps, what I enjoyed most was the free five-day e-mail tutorial on Book Proposals, which is a tricky and daunting task for most writers in early publication stages. I’d suggest to follow the official @BubbleCow feed for more linked articles.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like something I need to check out. I'll follow the link. thanks.

Tessa said...

Good find!

Harry Markov said...

@Charles: No problem. I believe that writers in general should be capable to navigate through the Internet and use it best to their ability.

@TS: Aren't I a sweetie for sharing, eh? :D

Bubblecow said...

Harry - you are too kind!

Harry Markov said...

It's a pleasure. :)